Clarkslegal LLP - Solicitors in Reading and London

Legal Updates

UK work experience visas under Tier 5

24 November 2017 #Immigration #Inward Investment #Employment

The Tier 5 visa route enables international students from outside the EEA to undertake temporary work experience, internships or approved training in the UK during or after their studies. Here, we consider the Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) and Youth Mobility schemes under Tier 5 of the Points Based System. Both routes allow a student/graduate to live and work in the UK for 12-24 months.

Tier 5 – Government Authorised Exchange Scheme

In a nutshell, this category is for those coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the UK.

There are four separate programmes:

  • Work experience programme: 12 month visa for volunteering, job shadowing, internships and approved work experience programmes
  • Research programme: 24 month visa for those working on specific scientific, academic, medical or government research projects at UK higher education institutions/research institutions
  • Overseas government language programme: for language teachers sponsored by their overseas government to carry out teaching placements in the UK
  • Training programme: 24 month visa which includes receiving formal practical training in the fields of science and/or medicine and for those receiving training by HM armed forces

A list of schemes and sponsors can be found in Appendix N of the Immigration Rules.

Tier 5 – Youth Mobility Scheme

This scheme is open to student/graduates between the ages of 18-30 from:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • South Korea
  • Taiwan

This visa enables the applicant to carry out most jobs in the UK for up to 2 years. The visa cannot be extended beyond 2 years and you cannot switch into a work visa from within the UK. A business which intends to keep such an employee on, can sponsor them under the Tier 2 route, providing the resident labour market test has been satisfied and the applicant applies for entry clearance from outside the UK.

If you are an international student wanting to intern in the UK or a UK business which wishes to take on a non-EEA national under a work experience/training programme, please get in touch with our business immigration lawyers. We can consider which sponsors would be suitable and assist you with any visa application.

Clarkslegal, specialist Immigration lawyers in London, Reading and throughout the Thames Valley.
For further information about this or any other Immigration matter please contact Clarkslegal's immigration team by email at by telephone 020 7539 8000 (London office), 0118 958 5321 (Reading office) or by completing the form on this page.
This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

Read more articles


Immigration team
+44 (0)20 7539 8000