Clarkslegal LLP - Solicitors in Reading and London

Legal Updates

Tier 4 Visa Checklist

07 August 2019 #Immigration #Setting up in the UK

If you are a non-EEA national and wish to study in the UK, then you can do so through the Tier 4 visa route. If you are applying from outside of the UK, then here is a quick checklist of documents required for the application.




Online Application Form which has confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

14-digit reference number which is issued to applicant by the university upon acceptance of an unconditional offer.



Valid Tuberculosis test certificate (if applicable)

If applicant has resided in any of the Home Office listed countries and intends to come to the UK for more than 6 months, then they must take the test.


Original current passport and previous expired passports

Must have at least one blank page in current passport.


Passport sized photograph

This must be a recent photograph.


ATAS certificate (if applicable)


Applicant may be required to provide an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate if they intend to study a science and technology course. However, the offer letter and CAS will specify this.


All qualifications listed in CAS statement


Applicant will need to provide their academic certificates or transcripts. This will enable the university to assess the applicant’s suitability for the course.


Certificate of IETS for UKVI


If the course is below degree level then the applicant will need to obtain a IELTS for UKVI certificate. If the course is at degree level, then the sponsor will assess the applicant’s English language proficiency. 


Parental Consent Letter

If the applicant is under the age of 18, then the parents must provide a letter to confirm their relationship to the child, that they consent to the application and consent to the applicant’s living arrangements.


Evidence of the applicant’s finances that meet the requirements of Tier 4 for applicant and any dependants

Applicants will be required to provide evidence that they have adequate funds to maintain themselves in the UK and to pay for their tuition fees.


Parent’s consent letter and birth certificate if using their bank statements

Birth certificate or adoption certificate must be provided to show evidence of relationship.


Letter of confirmation from financial sponsor if being financially sponsored.

The applicant can receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, applicant’s home government, British Council, an international organisation, an international company, university and a UK independent school.


Immigration Health Surcharge

Applicant will be required to pay £300 per year. If visa is for 3 years the total of £900 will need to be paid upfront.





Clarkslegal, specialist Immigration lawyers in London, Reading and throughout the Thames Valley.
For further information about this or any other Immigration matter please contact Clarkslegal's immigration team by email at by telephone 020 7539 8000 (London office), 0118 958 5321 (Reading office) or by completing the form on this page.
This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

Read more articles

Bhavneeta Limbachia

Bhavneeta Limbachia

T: 020 7539 8019
M: 0777 581 5811


Immigration team
+44 (0)20 7539 8000