Tier 2 up for review - your chance to have a say
29 July 2015
Tier 2 visas are the main route for skilled workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to come to work in the UK.
There are two kinds of Tier 2 visa – the Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer), where the applicant is transferring to a UK-based group company, and the Tier 2 (General) for skilled workers, with applications being assessed on a points based system. Currently, for Tier 2 (General) applications the most skilled roles score the most points and, for all other roles, points are awarded based on salary. We’ve recently blogged about the monthly cap on the number of tier 2 visas being exceeded.
The Government has commissioned the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to carry out a wholesale review of Tier 2, with a view to making recommendations about significantly reducing economic migration to the UK. The MAC has published a call for evidence on the following:-
- the effectiveness of the current points based system in prioritising migrants with the most benefit to the UK;
- the efficiency and effectiveness of the resident labour market test (RLMT) and proposals to restrict Tier 2 visas by replacing the RLMT with an expanded shortage occupation list;
- restricting Tier 2 visas to include genuine skills shortages and highly specialised experts only;
- leaving the current Tier 2 process in place and achieving a reduction in the number of visas by raising the minimum pay thresholds only;
- limiting the length of time that occupations can be listed as having skills shortages;
- tightening the Tier 2 (ICT) route;
- applying the NHS health surcharge to migrants on ICT visas;
- introducing a ‘skills levy’ to be paid by employers recruiting migrant workers, with proceeds used to fund apprenticeships in the UK; and
- removing the automatic right for dependants of Tier 2 migrants (e.g. partners, spouses and children) to work in the UK.
Clarkslegal LLP will be feeding back with comments based on our clients’ experience of the Tier 2 system. If you would like us to feed back your views/experiences (on an anonymous basis) please email these to us at email@example.com before Friday 17 September 2015.
Clarkslegal, specialist Immigration lawyers in London, Reading and throughout the Thames Valley.
For further information about this or any other Immigration matter please contact Clarkslegal's immigration team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by telephone 020 7539 8000 (London office), 0118 958 5321 (Reading office) or by completing the form on this page.
This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.
Read more articles