Clarkslegal LLP - Solicitors in Reading and London

Legal Updates

EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit – FAQs

30 August 2019 #Immigration

Who can apply for an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit?

A non-EU family member of an EU national, who has been granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme, can apply as long as they are a ‘close family member’.

What if my EU family member has not applied under the EU Settlement Scheme?

Then you may be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit which runs alongside the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit until the end of transitional period, i.e. 31 December 2020.

How will I be able to prove my right to work in the UK once I have been granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme?

There are no changes to the way you can prove your right to work in the UK, until 1 January 2021. This means that you can provide your passport as proof of your right to work in the UK which contains your family permit.  

Will I be issued with a biometric residence permit (BRP)?

You are not issued a BRP when you are granted a family permit. You will only be issued with a BRP once you apply under the EU Settlement Scheme (please see below).

How long will I be able to stay in the UK on a family permit?

Family permits are only valid for 6 months. If you would like to remain in the UK for more than 6 months, then you will need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Once I am in the UK, can I sponsor my family members to join me in the UK?

You will not be able to sponsor any family members to join you in the UK. Only EU nationals can sponsor family members to join them in the UK.

How much does it cost?

There is no Home Office fee for this application. However, there are additional charges for optional premium services.  

Do I need to prove my relationship to the EU national?

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship with the EU national such as birth or marriage certificate. However, in some situations it is also recommended to provide additional evidence to prove the relationship is genuine.

If I want to sponsor my parents, do I need to prove they are dependent on me?

You do not need to provide evidence of dependency as dependency is assumed for parents. However, if your matter is complex, please seek legal advice as further evidence may be required.

How do I apply?

You will need to apply online through the government website. Once you have submitted your online application, you will be required to book an appointment at a Home Office visa centre where your biometrics will be taken.


**Please note that any reference to EU nationals also includes EEA and Swiss nationals.

Clarkslegal, specialist Immigration lawyers in London, Reading and throughout the Thames Valley.
For further information about this or any other Immigration matter please contact Clarkslegal's immigration team by email at by telephone 020 7539 8000 (London office), 0118 958 5321 (Reading office) or by completing the form on this page.
This information is for guidance purposes only and should not be regarded as a substitute for taking legal advice. Please refer to the full General Notices on our website.

Read more articles

Bhavneeta Limbachia

Bhavneeta Limbachia

T: 020 7539 8019
M: 0777 581 5811


Immigration team
+44 (0)20 7539 8000